Wednesday, July 22, 2009

this is your house (4)

i must warn you that this post will be rather personal. it won't be as biblical or as technical as the previous ones, more mortal thoughts than a study of the Word. i made the draft on my bed last night, intended it to fit the series as i planned it to be, but as i jotted down more and more words, i poured more and more of myself into this, it became rather emotional, especially when i looked back to my beginning 5 years ago. now i'm transferring it into the digital world, with a hope it will be a blessing.

ask yourself this question:
do you consider your church your home?
why or why not?


my answer would be yes. maybe it has something to do with being overseas, being without my family for seven years. being far from my original home, i yearn for a family-like community therefore it was definitely easier for me to relate to my church as one.

i joined carlton 1 in 2004, when a friend (who sadly left the cell group not long after i became a regular) invited me to come that one particular night. maybe it was some sort of escape at the beginning. sis was still back in indo enjoying the ridiculously fun high school days while i struggled here by myself, gotten lonely, didn't do much beside uni, so, rather than having nothing to do on friday nights, why not?

it changed me into who i am now. i fell in love with God, and with this church. this is the place i planted my feet on, the place i received all the teachings, the fellowship and the love i needed, the place i grew as a part of God's community. i came to love this place God put me in 5 years ago, from all the blessings i've received to all the clashes, disputes, struggles and disappointments. it was not always easy. let's be real, there is no such thing as a perfect church. sometimes people disappoints, sometimes i got disappointed at myself. but one thing for sure, God never does.

remember, you are the church. the church is not the building, it is the people. you, makes the church as a whole, as one, united. there is the need to have a sense of belonging as a church. for a tree to grow, it needs to be nurtured; for a church to grow, the people need to care.

this has been said repeatedly by a lot of people, let me just reiterate it. i think this is very important. do not be butterfly christians. why would you do church-hopping? it might entertain, but it will do no good to your growth. it's like putting a seed or maybe even a sapling in a patch of soil, then move it to another site the following day, and then move it again and again and again. do you think it will grow? no, it will die.

a church is not merely a building you visit for 2 hours every sunday, it is your home.

this is your house.

No comments: